Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zachy&TheTodds

Zachy...all dressed and ready to go hang with the Todds on his first day with the Toddler A's


Zachy had his first official 'week' in the Toddler A room. I felt a little worried Tuesday Morning. Well, a lot worried. This is the toughest transition they make at the Center by far. The next hardest is from Toddler B to Preschool (which Mackenzie just made), but I think this one is a little more of a shock to their little selves.

They leave the relative quiet of the Baby Room, which has 'peers' ranging from three months to somewhere around a year. So, while crying might be common, many are still laying around, maybe rolling, some crawling and, at most, very early walkers. Not a lot of stimulation. Cut to the Toddler A's. They are ranging from about twelve to twenty four months. So, we have kids definitely walking, running, riding things, throwing things. And they share a playground with the B's, who are roughly two to three. So, WOW for him!

Dad dropped him off (As he always has...I feel fortunate that I'm not the one. Truthfully, I don't think I'd handle it too well!). Usually Mackenzie gets dropped off first in the Preschool Room, but she wanted to be there for her brother on his first day with the Todds and see him in his new room. She managed to move from denial to acceptance over the last month! She's a big girl, I tell you.

So, they took him to his new digs. Dad set him down and he just started looking around, checking everything out. Mackenzie gave him a hug and they left him.  I got to pick him (them) up on Tuesday. When I got there I could see him from the parking lot, sitting in the yard...crying. No! Not my baby!

I went and got him. He was clearly delighted to have me there to save him. Miss Amy said he did okay for a first day. She said he did better when there fewer kids and that as more kids got there in the morning, he started to get a little overwhelmed. My poor baby. Same thing after nap. As more kids woke up and went outside, he got more nervous. He ate well, apparently. She said that even though he was fussing a little, he ate and ate. Funny little guy. They called him 'BooBoo,' which today Mackenzie informed me that, 'I no want the people in the Toddler A to call my brother BooBoo. I want him to be Zachy.' Protective Big Sister she is. When Zachy and I were walking to get Mackenzie from the Preschool Room, we saw Miss Karla, his beloved Miss Karla. He was being shy and not looking at her, maybe a little upset with her for abandoning him. It was kind of cute, actually.

His 'Snapshot of My Day' from Tuesday said:

Activities I enjoyed: Climbing up the slide steps, sitting in the grass and rolling the ball.

Foods I ate:
Breakfast: eng muffin, egg, melon, milk
Lunch: Cheeseburger, sweet potatoes, watermelon, milk

Naptime: I DID rest well: 12-1:50

I emailed Miss Anne to see how Mackenzie was doing with Zachy's move. According to Miss Anne:

Zach’s transition went very well for her today.  She bounced into the classroom announcing it.  She did cry for a moment when Jeff left, but was recovered before he was out of the building.  She has spent all day talking, laughing and playing with friends.  She mentions how Zach is a “big kid” now.  She has been immersed in the joys of the preschool classroom all day today!
When I picked her up, Miss Sarah also said that Mackenzie had mentioned that her brother was a 'big kid in Toddler A.' Such a trooper my little totgirl is!

Today was his second day, which completed his 'schoolweek.' Dad said the drop off was a bit rougher. Zachy knew what was up this time and started crying pretty quick. Dad said he peeked back in the window after he dropped off Mackenzie and that Zach was still crying, but playing at the same time. I suppose one might say he's a multitasker. At pick up, Dad said that they said that today was much better overall and he was a little more comfortable. He was excited to see Dad when he got there and smiled, which they said was his 'first' smile all day (Ah, my poor baby!). But, again, a better day...so that's a good thing!

His 'Snapshot of My Day' from Today said:

Activities I enjoyed: Riding the bike, digging in the sandbox.
Foods I ate:
Breakfast: cream of wheat, fruit, milk
Lunch: beef, potatoes, fruit, milk

Naptime: I DID rest well: 12-2:45 (whew, those Todds tire him out!)

So, that was Zachy's first week as a Todd. Let's hope it is even smoother for him next week!

And now, for today's TwoGoodThings
  1. Mackenzie came running out to when I got home and said, 'I love you Momma. I love you Momma. I love you Momma' and then jumped in my arms, gave me a big hug and said, 'I missed you today Momma.' Ahhh..my sweetlovegirl!
  2. Zachy and I played while he was eating his dinner, making sounds back and forth. He was trying to imitate different noises and then would laugh, his veryveryvery funny laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment