Tuesday, October 12, 2010

SweetSisterLove

Mackenzie was very upset this morning that Zachy was not going to school. She wanted to stay home too, but that was not what she was sad about. She was sad because she would not be able to watch Zachy through the window. It seems she sees this as her 'job' as his BigSister. She cried. Yes, she cried when she realised she would not be able to see him today. Trying to reconcile her emotions, she said, 'I have to watch the other babies.' I think that gave her some comfort, despite the void I know she was feeling at the moment.

On her way home I talked to her on the phone. She went right to questions about Zachy: 'How is Zachy feeling? Is Zachy being crabby boy?' I think she was genuinely concerned. Such SweetSisterLove. These are the times I overflow with warmth and with gratitude for how lucky I am to have these two lives in mine.

Later in the evening we were talking about different kids at school and I was explaining that Lucy is Teddy's sister. Teddy is in the Preschool Room with Mackenzie and Lucy is in the Toddler A Room, where Zachy will be transitioning to in less than two weeks. I used this an opportunity to remind Mackenzie that Zachy would be in the Toddler A room, the same as Lucy, and no longer in the Baby Room. She got that worried expression on her face and said, 'But not yet, not Thursday, right?' Oh, I worry about her when the transition happens. I think having him there has been a security blanket of sorts for her. Although the change will probably be good for her, I foresee some difficulties for her, at least initially (Note to self: Email Miss Anne and ask if Mackenzie might be able to visit Zachy at all in Toddler A or what they recommend to help her through the transition.). I have reminded her of how the teachers she so loves, Miss Lisa, Miss (Toddler B) Sara, Miss Amy and Miss Debra will all be there to take care of Zachy. Fortunately, these are people she knows and trusts and who have cared for her. My hope is that this will help her be okay as she gets used to not having her little brother there to...watch over her...as she watches over him.

No comments:

Post a Comment