Friday, November 12, 2010

CatchUp

Before I move forward...here's Tuesday's TwoGoodThings...
  1. In the morning, totgirl said she didn't want to go to school for the day. Her plans? To stay home alone, walk to Walmart barefoot, and invite all the Walmart friends over for steak. She also wanted to invite neighbor Rich over. (Big problem, though. Walmart is an hour's drive, not sure how long it'll take to walk, but best of luck to ya!)
  2. They said Zachy had a Good Day in Toddler A at Totbabycollege! Yay! Is he finally adjusting to being with The Todds? I sure hope so!
I think this last week has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride. We have had some really good days, some in-between days and one really bad day.

I worked Monday and Tuesday, so I was really looking forward to Wednesday. Unfortunately, Wednesday ended up being our really bad day.  I don't know why, it just was. We started out by painting, which was a lot of fun. It was Zachy's first painting and he loved it; Mackenzie always enjoys showing off her artistic side.

Then Zachy started to have his diarrhea, which he has been having on and off it seems for awhile. I decided, rather than assume it is teething (which I have been doing), to take him to the doctor. I have been concerned that maybe he has had an ear infection, since evolution has a sense of humor and has made the two look identical (teething and ear infections). I'd been putting it off because: 1. I did not really think he had an ear infection (and he did not); and 2. The drive. I try not to subject the kids to the drive unless I have to or unless it's for fun. However, I figured it was time to make sure.

Doctor went fine, but then we went to Walmart on the way home. That ended up setting the chaotic tone, which then dominated the remainder of the day. The first half of the 'trip' was fine, but the by the back end, they were both tired (and probably hungry too) and screaming. Fun. Despite the hour long drive home, neither got in much of a nap, so the day went from bad to worse. Three people melting down by bedtime. I have to say, it's really hard on me when we have really yucky days. And, I'm sorry kids. I really am. More than either of you will ever know.

Despite the really yuck day we had, there were a FewGoodThings...
  1. Painting, both of them enjoying it.
  2. Mackenzie was really good at the Doctor's office, very sweet and engaging.
  3. Zachy completely charmed the folks in Walmart early in the trip, very adorable.
Thursday was a definite improvement. Ironically, I was supposed to have a Momma day, since it was a holiday and the daycare center was open, but because of Zachy's diarrhea, he stayed home. Mackenzie wanted to stay too, so I let her. We had a nice day. Naptime was a bit rough, but both finally fell asleep and got a decent rest.

Thurdays's TwoGoodThings...
  1. Mackenzie and Zachy crawling and 'jumping' on the bed together. Cracking each other up. I love when they play together and enjoy one another, but I swear it always seems to involve some element of danger.
  2. Holding a sleeping Zachy before I put him in the crib. I might have already referenced this at some point, but it's one of those things I have to cherish, because it won't be possible much longer. Gosh, his face looks so sweet it hurts, in a good way. I'm gonna miss snuggling him to sleep.
  3. Mackenzie talking about whether she'll take just a taste, a half or a whole serving at mealtime. Love the totbabycollege influence. Really, it helps open her up to trying things. Before she would say something was 'Yucky' or 'Poopy' before even tasting it, but now she does pretty good...most of the time! Yesterday I had asked her if something was 'Delicious,' and she said, 'No, IT GOOD!'
Today was our best day of the week. We were all in sync and the vibe was mellow but fun. We played outside this morning, Mackenzie threw leaves, Zachy stood at the fence and looked at EmmyDog from next door and crawled around the yard. We took a walk down the street. Mackenzie rode her trike-ish thing and Zachy pushed his walker. I think they both enjoyed being outside. Cool fall day, no wind. Just perfect.

Mackenzie is into playing house now. It's adorable. She pretends the playroom is her house. And, if I do so say so myself, it is pretty well set up for that. She kept inviting me over. Once when I 'got there' she was folding up blankets. A lot of them. Very well I must say. Her baby was sleeping in the 'baby room.' She had 'her room' blocked off with pretend walls. Her imagination rocks! I love seeing it evolve and lately it seems to grow daily.

Today Mackenzie also drew her first person. It had a head with a smile and two eyes along with a body of sorts with some stick arms and legs! Woo-hoo. That's HUGE! It seems to have happened overnight. I think just a few days ago I tried with her. Then today she just did it herself. All by herself!

Zachy continues to develop his jokester persona. He is too funny. I have already mentioned how he loves to pester his sister, but really in a good natured way, although she definitely does not think so. But he comes up with all sorts of games. He loves when he captures your attention and will do what he needs to do to keep it. He has a flare for the using the element of surprise. Today I was feeding him yogurt (I don't normally feed him, but he has medication mixed in, so I want to make sure he gets it) and he got that mischievous look in his eyes and then held onto the spoon in his mouth and just started shaking his head back and forth and laughing. Now he loves that game and does it every chance he gets.

Zachy's STILL not walking! So mobile though. I'm not sure he sees any advantage to walking, so just is not in a hurry. He does great when he practices either with the walker or by holding hands. I guess he's not quite ready to take those first steps on his own. In time. In Zachy time! Tonight I had gone to the back room to get more diapers and he came and found me. I gave him two diapers to hold and held his other hand and we walked to his room to put them away. He had an excited smile on his face. I think he knew he was being my 'helper.' It was really cool.

I feel like I missed things that I wanted to talk about. I have to get better about writing things down. My brain definitely forgets!

Although this was not our best week overall, I think it ended on a High Note. We're family. And, we are going to have our bad days too. Just have to move on and forward and learn from them and try to do things different next time! No matter what, I love my kids and I will wake up each day and try to do my best.

Lastly, here's today's TwoGoodThings...
  1. Waking up snuggled between Mackenzie and two cats. She is so lovable in the morning. It's a great way to start the day.
  2. Zachy said, Bye Bye! He is really starting to pick up language. Fun to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment