Monday, February 28, 2011

MondayRandomness

Ah, it's Monday. I usually like Mondays. As I have said before, I am home with the kids. It falls between the weekend and 'workweek' (Tuesday work, Wednesday home, Thursday work). For the most part, things are in reasonable order, as good as can be expected anyway.  This tends to make the day pretty low key.

We had a pretty good weekend. Yesterday, we woke up to a winter wonderland and had some great outdoors snow play. Lots of fun. The snow was fluffy, the temperature perfect (I was even out there in shorts since I had just gotten off the treadmill). Mackenzie and Dad made a snowman, with a little 'help' from Zachy. Zachy enjoyed the snow a lot more than he did the first time. He walked around, but pretty much wanted to be holding hands. If he saw a bit of oh-so-familiar dirt peaking through somewhere, he got pretty excited and made sure to pick some up and throw it. He also got brave and threw some snow. Mackenzie made snow angels and was out there for over an hour, I'm sure.
 
Saturday we thought the storm was going to arrive and decided to head south for the day. We went to the mall for awhile. Funny how malls are mini outings for people with toddlers. We tried the playarea, but unfortunately parents allowed their above the age and height limit kids to play in there. So, we went up and down the elevator (or 'alligator,' as Mackenzie calls it), had some yummy pretzels, walked through the pet store, and found a nice outdoors run around area with squirting water. Zach enjoyed just walking around and getting some energy out. Mackenzie and Dad ran through the water. She took off her pants and undies, which meant I had to talk to her. People laughed. She was quite entertaining.  She did put her pants back on  and continued to have fun anyway. We finished off with an early dinner at Chili's. Mackenzie ate fries. Zach had some fries and pizza. Healthy, I know. Simple outing, but fun and the kids were pooped and went to bed easy.

When we were at Chili's, Mackenzie was flirting with the waiter. Before we left she almost said, Bye bye stinky butt. But, she stopped herself! Love it. I think that kids will play around with the those words and really don't get too worked up at all, but I do want my kids to understand when and where. Fine line, I know. The main thing is, she is learning self control! She caught herself and stopped herself and still managed to be silly crazy fun.

So, that was our weekend. Because the temps warm up around here pretty quick, the snow is now melting away quickly or just very wet. The dirt underneath has turned to deep, thick mud, which means we are stuck indoors today. But, we are making the best of it. Got some jumping on the bed time, made a fort. After naptime I suppose an agility course of sorts will be devised and we will have to have a dance party. Perhaps we can venture outside for a walk on the street, provided we can make it across the driveway with minimal collateral damage (after getting the mail, it looks like this might not happen).

Anyhow, while I'm here, I thought I'd share a few random things along with perhaps a totmusing or two:
  • Mackenzie really loves to play cars. I'm sure I have talked about it before. She parks them. Then has them leave and other cars take spaces. She talks while she is doing it and has her cars interacting somewhat socially. Fascinating. I think they might be the closest thing she has had to a 'comfort item.'
  • When Zachy plays with cars, he crashes them. Or throws them. Which is pretty much what he does with everything.
  • The other day I told Zachy he looked adorable. Mackenzie got concerned and asked, Does that mean I going to look a-handsome? (Since I usually call Zachy 'handsome' and her 'adorable.')
  • This afternoon, before Zachy was going for his nap, he put his arm around Mackenzie and said Hug.  That was sweet. Last night before bed he was chasing her around the house trying to give her kisses. That was funny. So was her screaming.
  • Kids stood on the scale this morning. Zachy is about 21.6 pounds and Mackenzie 31.4.
  • Before bed the other night I suggested to Mackenzie that we clean up the toys. She said How about you clean and I play. A few days earlier, after waking up in the morning, she said, Look Momma, we forgot to clean up the Princess Castle. I thought the word We was a funny and interesting choice.
  • After playing outside last week, Zachy walked in with one shoe and looked baffled as he said Where shoe? Totally confused and concerned he appeared. Poor little guy. I searched the yard with him. No luck. About a half hour later he just happened to find it. Right inside one of Dad's shoes. And, how do you think it got there? He laughed when he pulled it out. Sneaky boy!
  • I made banana bread for breakfast this morning. Zachy took a bite and said Mmmmmm.
  • Yesterday he had some sliced black olives, which he lovvvves. How'd he eat them you ask? He picked them up by poking his finger in the hole and then eating them off his finger. I think this qualifies as multi-tasking. He ate and amused himself at the same time.
  • I love the smell of bacon. Has nothing to do with anything.  But I do.
  • Mackenzie loves bacon. Don't know if she loves the smell yet, but she loves bacon and I have no doubt will kow that she loves the smell someday.
  • We had a play date scheduled last Friday with Ari and Cate, but their Momma was sick. Mackenzie said, How about I draw her a picture so she can feel better? My girl can be pretty sweet!
  • I know we have talked about Mackenzie and her 'door' thing, where all the doors off the living area have to be closed. She now gives us a stern talking to if we leave one open. Next thing, she'll be giving us some sort of consequence.
  • In the midst of quiet play, Mackenzie says something. I ask What? because I hadn't heard her. She replies with I not talking to you, I talking to someone else. Opps, my bad!
  • Not complaining, but what's up with the over three hour nap, Zachy? Hope you're feeling okay!
  • Yesterday Mackenzie was playing 'Infant room' and she and Zachy were the babies. I would say Naptime! and Zachy would lay right down. Funny and cute. At the same time.
  • The problem is....I crabby. Spoken like a true Mackenzie.
  • Next up, Zachy. On the living room floor, crying. Until he sees me, then he smiles. He really wants to 'get' the whole tantrum thing, but he's just not there. Not yet anyway.
  • Zachy is a food thrower. Totally.
  • I think my ear has been colored blue by the Zach. That's the price I pay for trying to eat while holding a fussy one and half year old.
  • Mackenzie invited me into her fort. She has it pretty well stocked. It even has outside dining.
  • Zachy played a 'Mine' Game with some Chapstick. He said Mine and ran away laughing, making sure I was chasing him.
  • At dinnertime we sang Farmer and the Dell. I don't really know the sequence, but apparently Mackenzie does: The farmer takes a Wife; The Wife takes a Child; the Child takes a Dog; The Dog takes a cat; The Cat takes a Mouse; The Mouse takes the cheese; And the Cheese stays still. Or something like that. Point being (yes, I do have a point), they must sing the song in Preschool and she knew the order and I was proud.
Two kids asleep by 7:30. Mackenzie was O.U.T. at 7:06, Zachy at 7:30, which surprised me since he took a three and a half hour plus nap. Jury is still out on why he's so tired. Momma is pooped, but, overall, a pretty good day. Gonna miss those kiddos of mine tomorrow. Yes, I sure will.

No comments:

Post a Comment