Friday, April 8, 2011

Momma'sBirthday

Momma turned a year older yesterday.

Earlier in the week I thought it'd be a good idea to prepare Mackenzie for 'the day.' Especially since she is really into birthdays. Well, not really birthdays in general, just her birthday.

Accordingly, her response was not all that favorable.

You mean you get a birthday first? I want a birthday. Not fair. Why you get a birthday first? I not going to draw you anything. Here (handing me a piece of paper), you draw me something.

So, I did. I drew her a lovely picture. Lovely for someone who is artistically challenged that is.

Write Mommy Loves Mackenzie on it.

So, I did.

And she hastily scribbled me something in return.

There. That your birthday picture.

The following day in the car, Dad tried talking to her about my upcoming 'day.' From the sound of his report, her response hadn't toned down much.

Then came the actual morning. It was a work/school day. Close to departure time, she came running in Happy Birthday Momma!

Awww...made my day. She even handed me another hastily scribbled picture.

As I started to make my way out the door, she started to cry. I want to be at your happy birthday party at work. I explained to her that they don't really do that. She was unconvinced and still upset as I drove away.

When I got home from work, she and Dad were in the bedroom. She ran out and yelled back to him We better hurry for the Happy Birthday Surprise. Then looked at me and said Stay here. We cutting something in the bedroom.

I cannot begin to tell you how cute she looked. The idea of me having a birthday had grown on her and she was so sweet about now wanting to orchestrate the 'surprise.' Makes me smile.

Meanwhile, Zachy came over and gave me a hug. Just because he does. He doesn't know what a birthday is yet. Although he does sort of know the song, since Mackenzie sings it often. To herself.

Mackenzie brought out my present. With a Huge smile on her face. She hugged me. Told me she loved me. Then walked away and asked me to put Wow Wow Wubbzy on TV.

Before bed, Zachy went up to give Mackenzie a hug. She told him she loves him. They fell down. Then did it all again.

I couldn't ask for anything more. It was an absolutely perfect Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment