Monday, December 12, 2011

She'sComeSoFar

Monday night Mackenzie's ballet class had an open house recital. It was a low key event, but they had out cookies and juice. Chairs were set up in the studio and they did a normal class, but with an audience. Perfect for a little one's first 'performance.'

I was so proud of my little girl. I wanted to cry. Multiple times. My little girl has come so far. She has 'worked it out' as she has said herself at times when she as feeling 'a little shy.' Over the last several months she has had a class here and there that didn't go too well, but we have worked hard together to get through that, because she really does enjoy herself. She practices at home and, when she has a good class - where she is brave and has fun, she feels good about it. It's been a wonderful evolution. And seeing her today, despite feeling a little shy since there were parents in the room, seeing her hang in there and do her best...it was wonderful. Most wonderful.





She's learning in ballet. Some simple dance moves and basic techniques for moving and controlling her body. But most importantly, she's learning about herself and learning that she can work through being shy or nervous. It's okay if she doesn't know something, this is how we learn, by practicing and by trying. She's learning that she can be strong and can handle more than she thought possible. She's learning to trust herself. She's learning to be herself. And more than anything, I hope she's learning what it feels like to feel good about herself.

Congratulations on your first 'performance,' Mackenzie. Before bed we looked at some pictures together and you enjoyed seeing the photos of your recital. Tonight you were beaming. And that made me happy. Really really happy.


I was so proud of my little girl. I wanted to cry. And I did. Just a little. You have come a long way my sweetness!

No comments:

Post a Comment